Monday 13 July 2015

The Big Carrot (A Minnesota Short Story - 1958) Reedited 3-2009 (In English and Spanish)

[186 Cayuga St., St. Paul, Minnesota: 1958]

Ernest Brandt, who was my mother's boyfriend for some forty-years, identified out my secret though I was eleven years old, back in the summer time of '58, in St. Paul, Minnesota. He had around half acre of land in the city, and a large garden and he gave me a little section of it, to develop carrots.

Nicely, I was grateful, and so I attempted to copy him by planting my seeds in a quantity of rows: not as well close to every other, and not also far apart, and I'd choose out the weeds, water my patch in the garden, etc etc; however my carrots merely did not develop like his: yet my envy did.

Properly, we lived subsequent door to every single other; an empty lot separated the homes. In any case, it wasn't a extended hike to his garden: merely a quick stroll across the field and a basic jump more than his fence.

So it was that that every single so typically I'd go and verify on my garden to see how my carrots have been carrying out and they had been not performing very Properly, not compared to his anyhow. Hence, this one particular day, summer season day, in 1958 my mother had merely come down to stop by him (he could see her walking from our home to his), and so I knew he'd not be back in the garden for the rest of the evening. They took turns going to every single other's homes, yet as time went on, and I got older, it seemed she preferred his dwelling, possibly due to the fact of my grandpa and his orneriness.

In any case, Ernest went into his property, and I got to hunting at his garden, comparing it to mine, for the reason that they had been side by side, and he had lots of distinctive vegetables increasing in his garden, yet somehow I was extra interested in how his carrots had been increasing. The top of his carrots have been as round as my writs, and mine have been as round as my thumb: this was not basically, not fair by any suggests, so I felt, and envy set into me, like white on rice.

Hence, I looked right here and there, mainly at the backdoor that lead out to a wooden platform, an open porch type of, to see if Ernie was coming, and he wasn't. Very carefully I dug about a significant carrot of his, pulled it out, from the back row by the fence, certainly I believed, he'd not miss this a single easy major carrot amongst so lots of. Then I padded the dirt about it so he'd not anticipate any dirty deeds had been played on him (yet life is in no way so sweet, and straightforward, is it: what goes about comes about, and whilst it does it frequently smashes ideal into you).

So the deed was completed, and I went back home to watch tv with grandpa-I hid a handful of apples in the side of the sofa as I typically did so grandpa would not see them, due to the fact across from me he sat, watching me as usual, like a hawk, and watching tv as usual, a western as he liked most usually, and while he'd spot my fruit, he'd say, "Vhen you e'er goin' to quit eatin' ?" his pipe half out of his mouth, as if it was going to drop any minute on the floor, half lit he'd place it in the ashtray burning gradually, sit back in his sofa chair once again, refocus on his western.

Accordingly I'd hide the rest of my fruit, and he'd assume I was consuming my initially apple or orange all the time, and that was it, and not be the wiser to my compact ploy till I was brave adequate to get up and go out to the kitchen open the noisy refrigerator, and who could hide that charade, but it would be my fifth or sixth.

Anyhow, around 9:30 PM, my mother came home with Ernie, he normally walked her home, and they had been in the kitchen. My mother asked me to come in the kitchen for a moment, and each time she asked that, I knew I was in difficulty. And I was in problems, and I did go into the kitchen. Ernie was there with a huge carrot in his hand, for a moment I believed it was merely some vegetables from his garden he'd usually bring more than to the residence for my grandpa or mother, and he mentioned:

"Does this look familiar?"

"No," I mentioned, "Why?" (Yet of course it did look very familiar.)

"I feel it does," mentioned my mother, with a hawk's eye, that looked by means of me.

"Nicely," she mentioned, "Ernie identified this in your garden, and for some odd explanation it did not seem to belong there with all your smaller carrots."

I had replanted it you see, considering how proud I'd be to show it off later.

"Yup," I mentioned (I could not speak my way out of it I knew), adding, "I, I did not believe taking a single carrot would matter, I mean you got all the huge ones, I got only compact ones."

Possibly a tiny logic to my statement, however certainly not justification for the theft and I guess that is what it pretty was. Now that I look back, I believe they had been attempting to hold back the humor of the predicament, however it was stealing nonetheless, and it had to be dealt with. Tiny white sins, or distortions, or deletions, they all add up just after a though and come to be huge white sins, and then who knows exactly where it could go, or lead into to, and I am confident that is what my mother was pondering. However I would by no means have created a thief; I got caught all the time that is the couple of occasions I attempted to get away with one thing.

"Did not it seem apparent that it would stand out?" asked my mother (I feel my envy blinded me). I just shrugged my shoulders, I wasn't considering logically.

I looked a bit anxious for becoming caught; I guess I was sorrier for getting caught, less sorry for taking the carrot: in any case, I stated, "I in no way believed of it." And that was the truth.

Written in St. Paul, Minnesota, 9-24-2005/revised 3-3009

Spanish Version

La Zanahoria Grande
[Calle Cayuga # 186, San Pablo, Minnesota: 1958]

Ernesto Brandt, quien fue el enamorado de mi madre por cerca de cuarenta años, descubrió mi secreto cuando yo tenía when años de edad, allá en el verano de 1958 en San Pablo, Minnesota, Estados Unidos. Él tenía cerca de medio acre de terreno en la ciudad y un jardín grande y él me había dado una pequeña sección de este para plantar zanahorias.

Bueno, yo estaba muy agradecido y por eso traté de imitarlo plantando mis semillas en varias filas, no tan cerca uno del otro y no tan separadas tampoco, y yo le sacaba la mala hierba, regaba el trozo del jardín, and so on.; mas mis zanahorias no crecían como las de él, pero mi envidia sí.

Bien, vivíamos uno cerca del otro; con un terreno vacío que separaba las casas. En todo caso, no era una larga caminata hacia su jardín; sólo un corto recorrido a través del campo y un straightforward salto sobre su cerco.

Por eso era que cada cierto tiempo iba a revisar mi jardín para ver cómo iban mis zanahorias y ellas no estaban muy bien, no comparadas con las de él, en todo caso. Así que, este día de verano en 1958, mi madre justo había bajado a visitarlo (él la podía ver caminando hacia su casa) y por eso yo sabía que él no volvería al jardín por el resto de la tarde. Ellos se turnaban yendo a la casa del otro, pero mientras el tiempo pasaba y yo crecía, parecía que ella prefería ir a la casa de él, talvez debido a mi abuelo y a su mal carácter.

En todo caso, Ernesto entró en su casa, y yo me quedé mirando a su jardín, comparándolo con el mío, ya que ellos estaban uno al lado del otro, y él tenía muchos vegetales creciendo en su jardín, pero de alguna forma yo estaba más interesado en ver cómo sus zanahorias iban creciendo. La parte de arriba de sus zanahorias eran tan redondas como mis muñecas, mientras que las mías eran tan redondas como mi pulgar; esto no era justo, no por ningún medio, eso yo sentía, y la envidia se apoderó de mi, como mi sombra.

Consecuentemente, miré aquí y allá, más que nada hacia la puerta de atrás que conducía afuera a una plataforma de madera, una especie de terraza abierta, para ver si Erni estaba viniendo, y él no lo estaba. Cuidadosamente escarbe alrededor de una de sus zanahorias grandes, y la jalé, de la fila trasera del cerco. Pensé que seguramente él no notaría esta uncomplicated zanahoria grande entre muchas otras. Luego rellené el hueco con tierra, así él no sabría que alguien le había jugado un acto sucio (pero la vida no siempre es tan dulce y uncomplicated, es: lo que va, viene y regresa, y cuando esto sucede a menudo choca directo en ti)

Entonces el hecho estaba dado y volví a casa a ver televisión con mi abuelo-escondí unas cuantas manzanas por el lado del sofá, como usualmente lo hacía para que mi abuelo no las viera, porque él se sentaba al frente de mi, mirándome como un halcón como siempre, y viendo una película del oeste como frecuentemente a él le gustaba, y cuando él miraba a mi fruta decía "¡cuándo vas a parar de comer!" su pipa casi la mitad afuera de su boca, como si se iba a caer al piso en cualquier memento, él la ponía sobre el cenicero medio encendida quemándose lentamente, y se sentaba de nuevo en su sofá centrándose en su película del oeste de nuevo

En consecuencia yo escondía el resto de mi fruta, y él pensaba que yo estaba comiendo mi primera manzana o naranja todo el tiempo, y no descubría mi pequeña estratagema hasta que yo fuera lo suficientemente valiente para levantarme y salir a la cocina a abrir el refrigerador ruidoso, y quién podría ocultar aquella charada, aunque sería mi quinta o sexta fruta.

En todo caso, alrededor de las 9:30 de la noche, mi madre vino con Erni, él siempre la acompañaba de regreso a casa, y ellos estaban en la cocina. Mi madre me pidió que fuera a la cocina por unos minutos. Cada vez que ella me pedía esto yo sabía que estaba en problemas. Y estaba en problemas, y fui a la cocina. Erni estaba allí con una zanahoria grande en sus manos, por un memento pensé que eran sólo algunos vegetales de su jardín, ya que él frecuentemente traía algunos a la casa para mi abuelo o mi madre, y él dijo:

"¿Te parece esto familiar?"

"No" le dije, "porqué" (pero por supuesto que este me parecía muy familiar)

"Creo que sí lo es" dijo mi madre, con unos ojos de halcón que me traspasaban.

"Bueno" ella dijo, "Erni encontró esto en tu jardín y por alguna rara razón parecía que esta no pertenecía allí con todas tus pequeñas zanahorias".

Yo lo había replantado, ya ves, pensando cuán orgulloso estaría de mostrarlo más adelante.

"Si" dije (sabía que no podía escaparme) añadiendo "Yo, yo no pensé que sacando una zanahoria importaría, quiero decir que tú tienes todas esas zanahorias grandes, mientras que yo sólo tengo unas pequeñas"

Talvez era un poco de lógica a mi afirmación, pero por seguro no era una justificación por el robo y supongo que esto era en realidad. Ahora que recuerdo, creo que ellos estaban tratando de aguantarse la risa por lo gracioso de la situación, pero era un robo nada menos y tenía que ser tratado como tal. Pequeños pecados blancos, distorsiones, o supresiones, todos ellos suman después de un tiempo y se convierten en enormes pecados blancos, y luego quién sabe a dónde podrían ir, o conducir, y yo estoy seguro que eso era lo que mi madre estaba pensando. Pero nunca me hubiera convertido en un ladrón, siempre fui descubierto, es decir las pocas veces que traté de salirme con algo.

"¿No te parecía obvio que este resaltaría?" me preguntó mi madre (creo que mi envidia me cegó). Simplemente yo encogí mis hombros, no estaba pensando razonablemente.

Parecía un poco preocupado por haber sido descubierto; creo que estaba más arrepentido por haber sido descubierto y menos arrepentido por haber cogido la zanahoria; en todo caso, dije: "nunca lo pensé así." Y esa era la verdad.

Escrito en San Pablo, Minnesota el 24 de febrero del 2005. Revisado en mazo del 2009.

See Dennis' net web page: http://dennissiluk.tripod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment