Saturday 30 May 2015

Short Story - The Haunted House

My name is Seeta. I do not which includes it, but what can I do? I am not excellent at research. I am fourteen years old, nonetheless in the fourth normal. My parents, operating in our village college, often inform me to study. I go on reading, although absolutely nothing goes into my head. On the other hand, I which includes to function in the kitchen, assisting my mother, and sweeps and mops our tiny residence.

Our residence is in a remote village, far from the road. To catch a bus, which plies only twice to the town, we have to stroll numerous miles. Our neighbours are poor workers, who rely on everyday wages. There is an old abandoned residence, subsequent to our own. I am afraid to go there even in the day time. The land belonging to the residence extends up to the river, exactly where we go for our everyday bath.

One day we saw on old man coming there and sitting in the veranda of the old household. I just went there, curious to know about this stranger. He asked me about the location and later I took him to see the river. He seemed very satisfied to be there, for he remained there for a long time, till I reminded him about the night becoming very close to. He gave me one thing very tasty to consume, which I had not noticed prior to. When we returned, a man was waiting for him. They returned and I forgot about him.

Right after a month or so he came back, with his house effects, very couple of, just sufficient for cooking, and a large collection of books, all nicely bound and in English. The males who accompanied him went back and he was left all alone! I shuddered at the believed of sleeping alone in that haunted household, and when I told him about it, he laughed aloud. He occupied only the spacious area upstairs, the wall shelf stocked complete of books.

The subsequent morning when I went to see him, he was attempting to sweep the area. Seeing his clumsy action, I just took the broom and swept it in a couple of minutes. He mentioned one thing in English. I shook my head. It became a routine for me. Some day I gave him some specific dish we created at household, although he cooked his rice on a kerosine stove. Gradually we became good friends, even though my parents did not which includes it. They did not which includes the old man. Why is he staying here all alone? Has he no household?

When I place such inquiries to him, he remained silent, a pall of gloom descending on his face. I felt sorry for him. One day a young lady, wearing expensive sari and diamond necklace, came to take a look at him at noon, but left just before the evening, saying she is afraid of the property. They say it was his own daughter. I could not believe it. How can any one abandon her father, in his old age, in such a lonely location? I could not fully grasp.

Months passed. We all went to attend a marriage in my mother's residence, very far from our village. We had to travel for two days by train. When we,returned, Right after a month or so, mainly because it was getaway time, the residence was locked from inside and there was no response, when we shouted and threw stones. My parents informed the police. When the household was opened by breaking the door, the physique was located in a decaying situation.

I felt sudden giddiness. Afterwards I was told, the old man had provided the property and household in my name, like a bank balance of a handful of lacs rupees.

No comments:

Post a Comment