Monday 27 April 2015

Golden Eyes, a Short Story

I wake up covered in cold sweat, sick with worry. I know it was just a negative dream, and however, I have to get up and verify her out, just to see she's fine. Barefoot, without having turning the lights on even although it is the middle of the evening, I stroll to her. She opens her golden eyes and appears at me, and I commence to breathe, realizing only then I was holding my breath.

Her gaze is calm, so I calm down as well. I really feel sorry for waking her up, and comfort myself with the believed that she often finds it straightforward to sleep.

Sleep does not come so straightforward to me, although. I never even recall the nightmares and never want to; all I want is for her to be protected, and there is practically nothing in the planet that could assure me that. Nothing at all and no one could assure me that an individual would not hit her with a car or truck for the exciting of it, or reduce her and post the photographs on Facebook or videos on YouTube. Persons are getting increasingly angry, increasingly nervous, and quite a few of them like to take it out on these who are smaller sized and weaker than they are - and she's so small and vulnerable. I inform myself that she has her own strengths anyway, that she is seriously clever and cautious - from time to time even additional cautious than me! - yet that is not adequate to comfort me.

From time to time I assume of locking her up, of not letting her go out of the property. There are Persons who do that, some of them even pride themselves for getting cautious and affordable. I could not do that to her, even though. I could not just lock her up and take her freedom away. Even if she lived longer that way, would she be as delighted as she is now, free to do what she desires and go exactly where she pleases (inside affordable boundaries, of course - if there is a neighbor with a imply dog, I am going to yell at her for being anyplace close to that yard, and go ahead and laugh at me for acting silly, I dare you!)?

I lay in my bed, nevertheless awake, nevertheless afraid for her, when she comes to verify me out. Has she heard me? Did I make some noise I wasn't even conscious of? Or has she sensed a thing? I do not know, and at that moment, it does not matter. I appear at the contours of her small physique, at her attractive golden eyes, and I calm down. There she is, suitable in front of me, and she's fine. She's completely fine.

I make myself comfy as she jumps on my bed and purrs me to a peaceful sleep.

This story was initially featured at Bibliophilic Blather.

Ivana Milakovic: a fearless writer and a passionate storyteller. If you liked this story, really feel free to appear for additional at A Kitty Dreaming About Wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment